The Town of Castine is seeking a part-time seasonal employee for its Public Works (“PW”) department. This position will begin on or about April 15, 2019 and end on or about October 31, 2019. The position will require a minimum of 20 hours per week and will increase based on work load throughout the summer, with total 2019 time not to exceed 680 hours. Candidate should be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis. Compensation for the job, Assistant Public Works labor, will be commensurate with prior job experience.
The job will consist of the following tasks but not limited to:
1. Trash and Recycling pick up beginning on May 1st and continue through the end of August (4 months). This includes twice a week pick-up at the Town Dock dumpster (more if needed).
2. Install all the historic signs (40) immediately following MMA graduation (on or around May 4) and take them in after Columbus Day, October 14. Coordinate sign maintenance with PW Supervisor.
3. Remove leaves from roadways, sidewalks, ditches and culverts before the first snow and coordinating with PW Supervisor to suction out catch basins.
4. Post winter:
– coordinate street sweeping efforts by power sweeping sidewalks and against curbs
– quantify Town potholes, order cold patch and fill all potholes in Town streets & roads
5. Under direction of Town Manager, remove seasonal parking and traffic signage by May 15 and reinstall by August 15.
6. Assist PW Supervisor on repair, refinishing and installation of seasonal picnic tables and trash bins. Also install umbrellas at waterfront and store at Transfer Station during off-season.
7. Work with PW Supervisor to set up tables and chairs for various town-related events.
8. Mow and weed whack as directed by PW supervisor.
9. Clear around Backshore Pond and control the drain during summer months.
10. Assess miscellaneous repairs at Town structures and repair as directed by PW supervisor. Examples of required skills includes but is not limited to light carpentry and painting.